History

It is believed that a pub has existed on The Six Bells site by the Hatch since 1701, possibly earlier.

Originally The Old Lion, the Six Bells name is derived either from the bells in nearby St. Marys church, or reference to the nautical term used by sailors, “bell talk”, denoting that three hours had elapsed since the current watch went on duty, thus just one more hour before rest (and a cheeky tot).

Polly Bavin was the much loved landlady for twenty seven years until her sad passing in October 2020.

Debbie, Zoe and Vin, three locals took on the pub during lockdown and thanks to our wonderful customers it has gone from strength to strength.

Our aim is to be THE hub of the community and our doors are open to friends old and new.